So Much More Than a Name

Now that our grandson Jesse is beginning to talk, he is able to refer to Kim and me as “grandma” and “grandpa.” Actually, he says, “ga-ma” (or sometimes, “ra-ma”) and “pa-pa.”  And, if I point to myself and ask, “Who is this?” not only does he answer, “pa-pa” but also, “papou,” which is “grandpa” in Greek! (Imagine at two years old, Jesse already speaks Greek!)  Of course, long before he was saying “ga-ma” and “pa-pa,” he had learned to say,  “momma” and “da-da,” which is only right, I guess. 

Like most parents and grandparents, we haven’t taught Jesse to refer to us by our first names. In fact, I for one would find little joy in hearing him call me, “Tim.” That’s the way everyone else in my life refers to me, except for my children who call me, “Dad” (and congregants who call me, “pastor”). Family members and friends, neighbors and sometimes strangers to whom I’ve introduced myself, call me “Tim.” Yes, it’s my name but it says nothing about my relationship with the person who is using it. Even the guy in Panera calls out, “Tim” when my order is ready. But I have always loved hearing my children call me “dad.” And, now I really love hearing Jesse call me “pa-pa!”  It’s so much more than a name. 

It makes me think of how there are so many names and titles for God found throughout the Bible. Yet, I think the best name of all is, “Father.” In fact, Jesus, more than anyone else, taught us to call God, “Father.” The prayer that he gave to his disciples begins with “Our Father….” (Matthew 6:9) When speaking to the crowds he referred to God as “your Father” and “your Father in heaven.” (E.g., Luke 11:13; 12:30, 32) By doing so, Jesus was teaching the people that, God’s desire is for each of us to have a very special relationship with him and call him by the name that best represents that relationship, “Father.” 

The Apostle Paul wrote, “For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, ‘Abba, Father.’” (Romans 8:14-15 – NIV) Like little children, we are enabled to call out to God by that very simple and yet intimate name, “Abba” which translated is simply, “daddy” or even “da-da!” In other words, God invites us to relate to him like little children relating to their father, filled with trust, faith, and simplicity of heart. 

There are times when it is right for us to consider God as Creator, Provider, Lord, Savior, etc.  It is appropriate for us to pray to God as “Jehovah” or “Yahweh”, the “I Am,” the “Holy Judge”—and the list can go on and on. But it seems to me that there is no name or title that pleases God more than that of, “Father.” And there is no name or title that brings more joy to our hearts than to be able to call him, “Abba, Father.” After all, it’s so much more than a name! 


Let me encourage you to speak to God today and to begin so by calling him, “Father.” 

Have a great day! 

- Pastor Tim Harris  


Comments