Someone Else to Love!

In my last blog (June 21,2024), I wrote of waiting for the arrival of Caleb Daniel, our third grandson. Well, he arrived right on schedule (June 24) at the healthy weight of 9 lbs. 5 oz. So just like the old TV show from the 1960’s, Jonathan and Danielle (his parents) can speak of “My Three Sons”: Jesse, Jack, and Caleb. And, I can now refer to my three grandsons!  And what’s both so wonderful and amazing about it all is, as Caleb has entered our family, he receives as much love as do his brothers; they don’t lose any of the love we have had for them while Caleb receives all the love he needs. Let me explain what I mean. 

I remember when Kim and I were starting our family, I wondered how in the world I could ever love another human being as much as I loved Kim. After all, being married to Kim was one of the greatest joys of my life (and still is!). Yet, when our firstborn Jonathan came along I felt a new love emerging such that I didn’t have to take away any love from Kim to love our new son. Rather, I was able to love him while at the same time loving Kim. And when Nathaniel and Joanna were born, the same happened. With each of their births a new capacity to love emerged in my heart. 

All of this made me realize the incredible capacity to love that God has placed within the human soul. After all, if you think about, no one ever says to a child or friend or any other loved one, “I’m sorry I can’t love you; I’ve run out of love.” Rather, we love our parents and our siblings. We then go on to love a spouse and each of our children. And we still have room in our hearts to love our grandchildren—and all those who step into our lives! It’s a capacity to love that seems to be an unending well of love; it’s a capacity to love that can only have come from God himself. 

The Apostle John wrote, “God is love.” (1 John 4:16 - NIV). That is, the very character of God is love. In fact, his is a capacity to love that far exceeds ours. God’s love goes to the nth degree, showing love to all people, whether or not they love him back and giving all he can possibly give to demonstrate that love.  

As John wrote, “This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.” (1 John 4:9-11) 

I want to remind you today, no matter what you might be facing God loves you. He loves you so much that he was willing to send his own Son Jesus to die for your sins. And by his love he will minister to every need you have. As John wrote, “And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.” (John 4:16) 

By the way, with the birth of Caleb Daniel my capacity to love has once again expanded! 

Have a great day! 

- Pastor Tim Harris


Comments