The Best of Friends!

I have learned through the years that one needs not have lots and lots of friends, just a few good friends upon whom they can depend. Now, it’s ok to have a bunch of people in your life with whom you might share an activity here and there or some people that you get together with around a common theme—e.g., a sport, a club, a meal, church. In the end, however, one needs just a few people with whom they can share the intimate parts of their heart, mind, and soul; a few friends with whom you feel connected, even when you are unable to be together physically; a few good friends to whom you can turn when your find yourself in a place of need. 

Of course, it’s not always easy to figure out who those few friends are. Sometimes we might think of someone as a close friend, but when push comes to shove we find out that they are not really there for us in our time of need—or maybe they’re not as interested in the friendship as we are. There are those people who come in and out of our lives befriending us as long as we can be together or as long as things are going well, but when things change and the friendship is put to the test, they are gone. Not only that, but sometimes you and I do things or don’t do things that can sabotage a friendship; we’re not always the kind of friend we ought to be. 

Psalm 25:14 says, “The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him.” (ESV)  As I read those words, I am reminded that one of the pictures given to us in the Bible for our relationship with God is that of friendship. In fact, James wrote these words about Abraham’s relationship with God, “’Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,’ and he was called God’s friend.” (James 2:23 – ESV) It’s an amazing thought: the God of the universe is willing to count us as his friends! 

In the gospel of John, Jesus said to his disciples, “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” (John 15:15 – ESV) As the hymn writer put it, “What a friend we have in Jesus..!”  

I am thankful for the good friends that God has brought into my life throughout the years (the best, being my wife Kim!). I am grateful for friends who have prayed with me during hard times, celebrated with me during good times, and stuck with me, even when I was not the best of friends. But I am most grateful for the privilege of knowing that the God of heaven and earth counts me as a friend.  I am honored to know that Jesus would call me his friend. I am so glad to have him as that friend who “who sticks closer than a brother” (Proverbs 18:24 – ESV). 

Let’s not take our friendship with God for granted, but instead do our part to live worthy of the grace and love that allows us to experience the “friendship of the Lord.” After all, it’s an amazing thing to be able to say (or sing), “I am a friend of God!” He is the very best of friends!

Have a great day! 

- Pastor Tim Harris 


Comments