Speaking a New Language!

Beginning in junior high school, I began to study Spanish. Thankfully, through the years, I’ve had opportunities to grow in my ability to speak and understand the language as I’ve been surrounded by Spanish-speakers for most of my life. Of course, my time spent in Nicaragua really forced me to learn the language better.  (Believe me, however, my Spanish is not great!) In recent years, I’ve tried to learn some Brazilian Portuguese. Using apps such as Duolingo and Babbel, as well as having Portuguese-speakers around me,  I’ve taken the opportunity to learn at least some basic words and greetings. It’s not easy, but I do love the ability to greet my Spanish-speaking and Brazilian friends in their own language. Unfortunately, I know I will never be fluent in either Spanish or Portuguese.  

The most important thing about language is that it gives us the ability to communicate with one another. As we learn each other’s language our ability to share thoughts, feelings, facts, insights, etc. with one another grows. When we don’t know each other’s language we can shout, use hand motions, and jump up and down, but our communication is greatly hindered. Thankfully, we do have all kinds of tools today that can help us communicate with one another across language barriers.  Yet, there is nothing like learning the other person’s language. 

As I think about it, I am reminded that when God wanted to communicate to us, he spoke in a way that we as human beings could understand; he spoke our language. How? By coming to us in the flesh, in the person of Jesus Christ. 

S.D. Gordon wrote, “Jesus is God spelling Himself out in a language that man can understand.” And, “He (Jesus) is the A and the Z and all between, of the old Eden language of love.” (“Quiet Talks About Jesus”)  You see, when God wanted to let us know that he loved us and wanted to save us—that he wanted us to spend eternity with him—he spoke to us in a way that we could understand: through flesh and blood, through human words and actions, and through sacrifice.

The Apostle John put it this way,  “This is how God showed (i.e., communicated) his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.” (1 John 4:9-10-NIV)  In other words, the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus was God’s way of saying to us, “I love you!”  Jesus is truly God speaking to us in our language!  

So, today won’t once again hear what God has spoken to us through his one and only Son, Jesus?  The great God of the heaven and earth has given his all that you and I might know his forgiveness, mercy, grace, and love at work in our lives today. He has communicated to us in a way that we can understand. What a wonderful God he is! 

Have a good day! Tenga un buen dia! Tenha um bom dia! 

- Pastor Tim Harris 


Comments