A Shelter From the Storm!

This past week, here in New Jersey we have had our share of storms. A few nights ago, we had thunder like I haven’t heard in a long time—thunder that seemed to shake the whole house. Yesterday as I was running some errands and then heading to the gym, I could see the clouds in the south gathering, lightening streaks came bolting down, and the thunder began to roar again. I got into the gym just before the downpour came. I was glad to have missed it. Eventually the storm passed and the sun came back out. But wouldn’t you know, just as I was about to leave another storm came rolling in! At least, I was able to stay where I was as I waited for the storm to pass. 

Then at about 4:15 this morning, my phone sounded an alarm with a tornado warning from the National Weather Service. It said that a tornado was possible and that we should immediately seek shelter on a ground floor or in the basement. Outside the rain was coming down hard and the wind was howling. Although I just wanted to sleep through it, Kim insisted that we at least go downstairs to our living room. So we did as we waited out the worst of the storm. Thankfully, no tornado struck and the storm passed. 

I find that there are two things that help us get through storms such as these. First is knowing that no storm lasts forever. Every storm will eventually pass. Some may move through quicker than others, but eventually every storm comes to an end. Second is having a place of shelter—i.e., that place wherein one can feel safe from the elements of the storm, as he or she waits for the storm to pass. 

We all know that life is filled with all kinds of storms. Of course I’m not referring just to the storms that the weather brings, but the storms that we face as sickness, death, conflict, financial pressures, etc. come into our lives. The stresses and strains of life bring all kinds of storms into our lives. In fact, maybe you find yourself in the midst of a storm today. Well, here’s the good news: (1) Your storm will not last forever; (2) There is a shelter that is available to keep you safe in the midst of the storm; his name is the Lord! 

The prophet Isaiah wrote, “You (Lord) have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in their distress, a shelter from the storm” (Isaiah 25:4 – NIV)   And the Psalmist wrote, “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the LORD, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’” (Psalm 91:1-2 – NIV) 

So today if you find yourself in the midst of some sort of storm, I encourage you to turn to the Lord and find your safety in him. He is the best shelter you will ever find. And remember, no storm lasts forever! 

Have a great day. Stay safe. 

                                                                                        - Pastor Tim Harris 


Comments