This Little Light of Mine!

Last night Kim and I lighted the first candle for Chanukah. As many of you know, I’m Jewish on my mother’s side so for me it is quite significant to light the Chanukah candles. In doing so, I am continuing a heritage and tradition that has been practiced in my family for centuries. And it is another opportunity to recall God’s miraculous work on behalf of his people. 

As my children were growing up, after I would light the candles and pray a simple prayer, they would burst into the traditional Chanukah song, “O Chanukah! O Chanukah!” that speaks of spinning the dreidel, eating latkas, and the candles brightly burning. Then, we would all begin to sing the old Sunday School song, “This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine!” Finally, they would each get some chocolate gelt (money) or a dollar or a new Christmas ornament! Yes, we kind of blend everything together! 

Last year's fully lit menorah
Each year, as I pray over the candles, rather than praying the traditional Hebrew prayers such as my grandmother prayed, we simply thank God for the candles that remind us that we serve a God who protects, provides for, and delivers his people. As we light the candles, we thank God that he is still a miracle-working God and that he brings light into the darkness of our world. And, because we are Christians, even as I light the Chanukah candles, we thank God for Jesus who is “the light of the world!” and then sing about the light that God has placed within us through him, a light that each of us is called to shine into the darkness of our world today. 

Jesus said, “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14-16 – NIV) 

As I think about the Chanukah candles that I’ll be lighting for the next week or so, I’m reminded that I am called to be like one of those candles, shining light into darkness. My life, like yours, is meant to be a reminder to others that there is a God in heaven who loves us and who still intervenes in our world to bring about miracles of deliverance, provision, and salvation.  Those candles are a call to each of us to let our “light shine before others” that in the end God would be glorified. 

So, let’s commit ourselves today with the words to the old song, “This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine!” 

Have a great day!  And Happy Chanukah! 

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments