When Worship Turns Into Terror

I don’t usually like to use this devotional blog as a forum to reiterate the latest news. That would make these Pastor’s Devotions less than encouraging—even a bit depressing.  However, as a pastor it’s only natural that throughout this week my mind has been on the terrible massacre that took place at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas. 

As I read the accounts of what took place, especially the methodical way in which the shooter sought to kill every person in the church from the youngest to the oldest, my mind couldn’t help but see the events taking place in the church that I pastor.  I have envisioned what it would have been like to be in the pulpit leading a service with a congregation in worship, when suddenly terror erupts.  I have wondered how I would respond, if I had any time at all to do so.  If I did survive, I have thought what it would be like to be left with a congregation that has been decimated. How would I minister to them? Could I get over my own pain to bring some sort of comfort and semblance of order back into the lives of the flock that has been left behind? What happens to a congregation when a morning of worship turns into a morning of terror?

I have no answers.  At times, I’ve almost burst out in tears over it all.  I’ve prayed for God’s protection over our church—and, the churches throughout our nation.  I’ve talked with other pastors and to leadership about better security and lockdown plans.  In the end, however, I have realized that, although we will need to put plans into place, and although we will continue to pray, there are some things in life that are way out of our control. That is where our faith in God comes in. In fact, this is where our faith in God is tested.  

In spite of our best -laid plans (which are good and necessary) and in spite of our prayers (which we ought to be praying), sin and evil will continue to impact our lives.  The terror may not always come in the form of a shooter breaking into a church service—or, a vehicle driving full speed into a crowd (as per the NYC attack)—but, evil has a way of touching our lives over and over again, stealing from us our health, our loved ones, our relationships, our sense of confidence in the future.  But, it cannot steal from us our faith. Evil cannot take from us our faith that one day God is going to step into our world, the Kingdom of God will come, and on that day evil will be eradicated and the good that God has planned for his people and for our world will be instituted once and for all. 

In faith we must continue to say. “The Lord is good and his love endures forever.”  (Psalm 100:5 – NIV) Or, as the prophet wrote, “The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble.”  (Nahum 1:7 – NIV) In faith, we must continue to trust God not only during the good times of our lives, not only during the times of worship, but even when evil and terror step in.   

I want to encourage you today to continue to trust God with your life; to continue to believe that he is good; to know that the terrors of today will not last forever. 

I leave you with the poem below.  It’s not yet Christmas, but its words speak well to us as we pray for the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas and seek to hold onto our faith.

-  Pastor Tim Harris

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play;
In music sweet the tones repeat,
“Peace on earth, good will to men.”

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along th’ unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

Till, ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound, the carols drowned
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn, the households born
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And in despair I bowed my head:
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep,
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”


(Henry W. Longfellow - 1864)

Comments