The "Over Sixty" Checkout Line!

I have found that every age has its benefits. When you’re a child, your age gives you lots of freedom. When you’re a teen or young adult, you have lots of strength and energy. As one moves through their adult years, each decade has its blessings. In fact, when you hit sixty you get to go into Trader Joe’s before the rest of the population is allowed in and get on a special checkout line at Shop Rite!

I never thought I’d admit it, but in the midst of this pandemic, being sixty has had some perks. Of course, I might rather be a bit younger. And, I am doing my best to stay healthy and not look too sixty-ish! But when I realized I could get through the checkout at Shop Rite a bit faster by going on the “60 plus” line, I swallowed my pride and hopped on. And yesterday, when I realized I could get into Trader Joe’s with the “60 plus” crowd, while all the younger people waited outside the store, I thought to myself, why not?  After all I am sixty! 

The book of Ecclesiastes describes the aging process as “the breaking down of the house” (to quote my Aunt Catherine).  Thus, we told,  Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say, ‘I find no pleasure in them’…Remember him—before the silver cord is severed, and the golden bowl is broken; before the pitcher is shattered at the spring, and the wheel broken at the well, and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.” (Ecclesiastes 12:1, 6-7 – NIV)

The point is, time goes by very, very quickly. Before you know it, you’re standing on the “60 plus” line at Shop Rite or Trader Joe’s. And, if we are not careful, we can end up living our lives filled with all kinds of regrets; it happens to people all the time. Thus, we ought not wait too long to make sure our relationship with God is in order, that we are being a blessing to those around us, and that we are doing the things we know we ought to do. We need to live the lives the way we know we ought to live them, while we yet have time to do so. That time is, now!

So today, whether you are young or old or somewhere in between,  I encourage you to assess your life in the light of God’s Word.  Is your relationship with God in order? Are you a blessing to the people God brings your way? Are there things in your life you need to take care of before too much time goes by?  

“Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,  making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.” (Ephesians 5:15-17 – NIV)

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments