So Sad....

I’ve watched the video over and over again and I’m not really sure how to articulate what I’m feeling. After all, I’m just a white guy who has never really felt the sting of racism. I’ve never had to have the “talk” with my boys about how to handle themselves if pulled over by a cop. I’ve never had to explain to my kids from a personal perspective a history riddled with the pain of slavery, Jim Crow laws, and a host of negative events that have marked the black experience here in America.  So, I can’t (and ought not) pretend to understand what my black brothers and sisters are feeling in light of the horrific events that have taken place this week—i.e. the unjust killing of another black man, this time at the hands of a police officer.

All I can say is, I just feel so sad. I’m sad for what my black brothers and sisters have had to endure through the years. I’m sad for what they continue to face in light of the persistence of that terrible sin called, “racism.” I’m sad for another life lost to the diabolical hands of injustice. I’m sad that, in spite of all of our so-called enlightened ways of thinking, racism has a way of rearing its head among us over and over again.   

I’m feeling sad that the many really, really good cops who serve our towns, cities, and nations so well can have their own reputations marred by a few who allow their authority to go their heads, turning it into a bravado that, when mixed with their own prejudice, turns into the epitome of the misuse of power and civil duty. And, I’m feeling sad for cities and communities that are being turned upside down by violent protests; I’m sad that there are so many who will allow their anger at injustice to turn into a violence that destroys the property and businesses of those who are innocent—yet, another injustice.

In the end, what is really so sad is the fact that sin is yet having its way among us. The very thing that Jesus came to destroy, the very thing for which he gave his life, is still alive, active, and wreaking its havoc here and across our world.

The Bible says, For he himself (Jesus) is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility… His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace….” (Ephesians 2:14-15 – NIV) Through Christ every “wall of hostility” is meant to be torn down so that there is no longer “...Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” (Galatians 3:28 – NIV) If Paul was writing today, I think he would add: “black or white, Hispanic or Asian, etc., etc.”


Today, I’m feeling sad. And, I know that many of you are as well. But I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to think that God is feeling much sadder than we are. I tend to think that, God is once again grieving over humanity and the sin and injustice that still abounds among us. And, through Christ Jesus, he still reaches out to us with his love and healing power; he is still offering to tear down every “dividing wall of hostility,” if we would but turn to him.



So, in the midst of all the sadness, grief, pain, and anger at injustice let’s turn to him. Let’s pray and ask God to bring about his justice and peace among us.

God bless.

Pastor Tim Harris


Comments