My Birthday and the End of Summer!

As some of you may know, this past week I celebrated my birthday.  As I did I was reminded of that fact that, when I was growing up no one in my family really liked my birthday. It’s not that they didn’t like the fact that I was born (so I have to believe!), but it was the timing of my birthday.  You see, being born on August 25 meant that, my birthday signaled the end of summer.  That meant not only my siblings and I would soon be going back to school, but as well my father who was a teacher, would be starting a new school year.  When my birthday came around, everyone knew that we only had about one week of summer left and then school, fall, and eventually winter were on their way!  Thus, no one  was thrilled to celebrate my birthday!

Throughout the year we have those dates that become markers of new seasons and the transitions that we go through on an annual basis.  Thanksgiving Day marks the start of the holiday season.  Easter tells us that spring is on its way.  Memorial Day has become the unofficial start of summer.  Maybe like my family and me, you and your family have some personal days that are seasonal markers by which you count the days and pass through the years; days by which you mark time.  

The Bible teaches us that God has set the seasons of our world in place.  When he created the sun, moon, and stars he did so that they might “mark seasons, days, and years.”  (Genesis 1:14 – NIV) God has given us means by which to mark the passing of time and to understand the seasons of life.  Not only that, but the Bible instructs us to see the hand of God at work in every season of life and to then make sure we are using each season of our life wisely—i.e. in a way that honors him and blesses others.  

The Apostle Paul said, …he (God) has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy.” (NIV)  The Psalmist wrote, “Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”  (Psalm 90:12 – NIV)

I want to encourage you today to see God’s hand at work in every season of your life and to commit to use each season in a way that will glorify him and bring blessing to others.  No matter what season of your life you may be in, this is your time to worship and live for God! 

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris  

Comments