A Spectacular View!

During this time of transition that my family and I are in (that is, not having a permanent residence near our new place of ministry), a very kind couple in the church is allowing us to use an apartment they have within their home in Atlantic Highlands, NJ.  This is an area of New Jersey that is close to Sandy Hook and which I never knew existed.  It is called Atlantic Highlands because it is set up high above the coastline.  It overlooks Sandy Hook, Sandy Hook Bay, Raritan Bay and even the New York City skyline.  At its highest point, there is a park that is 266 feet above sea level, which we are told, is the highest natural elevation on the Atlantic seaboard from Maine to the Yucatan! 

Well, all I can tell you is the view from that point is spectacular!  We have stopped at the park a few times now to take in the view, looking out across the bay and ocean; catching a view of the Freedom Tower, the Verrazano Bridge, the Brooklyn to Queens to Long Island coastline, and all of Sandy Hook.  Yesterday morning I took an early morning walk along the road that leads to the park, and all along the way I had this incredible view, one which I said I don’t think I could ever get used to or take for granted. It is just that spectacular a view! 

This morning as I was thinking once again about that view (right now I’m back in Tenafly, NJ), I thought, I wonder what it will be like when we finally catch a view of Heaven? After all, if we can find such spectacular views here on earth, the view of heaven must be that much more incredible. More than that, I wonder what it will be like when we see Jesus, our Savior?

In the book of Revelation, the Apostle John describes the absolutely spectacular view that he caught of heaven, of the throne of God, and of Jesus Christ himself. It was a view that he almost seems to have difficulty putting into words. It was a view that, I am sure, changed his life forever. Then, in his letter to the church, John wrote these words, “Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.” (1 John 3:2 – NIV; emphasis mine)

The promise is that one day, those of us who are followers of Jesus Christ will enter into Heaven.  There we will catch a spectacular view, for we will see not only the glories of heaven, but we will see face to face our Savior! Yes, the view of heaven will be spectacular. But, the view of Jesus Christ will be even more so.  It will be a view that I believe we will never get used to nor able to take for granted. And, it is the hope of such a view that gives us hope for the life to come and the motivation to live for Christ each day, no matter what may happen in this life. 

I’m looking forward to a spectacular view. I trust you are as well. 

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments