A Bagel Shop With No Bagels!

Yesterday morning I woke up with a craving for a bagel for breakfast. Knowing that there is a bagel shop near to our new church in Shrewsbury, NJ, I decided to pick up breakfast on my way into the office.  When I got there however, I noticed that the normally busy shop was relatively empty.  I looked at the bins that normally hold the bagels and saw that they were all empty! Initially I thought to myself, Wow! They must have been very, very busy earlier this morning! Then I thought (in kind of an annoyed way), Why can’t they keep up with the demand?  What kind of bagel shop is this? When the young guy working behind the counter saw me looking, he informed me that their machine/pot that boils the bagels had broken down. Thus, that morning they had only rolls (which they brought in from elsewhere). I couldn’t believe it: a bagel shop with no bagels! 

Of course for a bagel shop not to be able to produce bagels is devastating. It’s a huge loss for them financially. Not only that, but it hurts their reputation with their customers. I know that most people are understanding. But the fact remains, when people walk into a bagel shop they expect to find bagels.  To be told there are no bagels in the bagel shop is quite disappointing.  (And, I was greatly disappointed, to say the least!)

It makes me think about our lives and what people expect of us when they find out we call ourselves Christians.  After all, when we tell people that we are followers of Jesus, they have a right to expect certain things of us.  They rightfully should expect to find that we are people who exemplify the kind of life Jesus has called us to live. They rightfully expect that we live our lives according to a different set of values; that we live our lives in a way that is to some degree counter-culture; most of all, that we would exhibit the fruit of the Spirit. To know that we are Christians and not see within our lives compassion, kindness, gentleness, love, etc. is like walking into a bagel shop and not finding any bagels! 

The Apostle Paul put it this way, “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.”  (Colossians 3:12 – NIV)  John wrote, “Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.” (1 John 4:3 – NIV)  Jesus call was for his followers to live as he lived, laying down their lives for others. 

When people come into contact with those of us who call ourselves followers of Jesus, what do they find? Do they experience the fruit of God’s Spirit? Do they find that we are clothed with the attributes of Jesus? Do they find people who are willing to lay down their lives for others? Or, are they disappointed?

Let’s not be like a bagel shop with no bagels!

Have a great day! 


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments