Persistence and Determination

While our son Nathaniel and his wife Sarah are away on a trip, Kim and I are watching their 10 month old Lab mix, Pepper. Well, like any good dog-sitter, I went and bought Pepper a couple of new chew toys to help occupy her time. What I didn’t know was that Pepper doesn’t just chew her toys, she rips them apart!  Whether it is a rubber bone or heavy woven rope, Pepper just gnaws at them, ripping them apart, piece by piece by piece. (And, we need to make sure she’s not swallowing any of the rubber or string.)  

I’m amazed at how persistent and how focused Pepper can be when chewing on something. For a few minutes at least, it’s as if nothing else in the world exists. She will pull at a string until she gets it out and then go onto the next—and the next. All of her energy is focused on tearing apart whatever it is she has in her mouth. She is, what I would call,  quite “persistent” and “determined.”  It’s actually amazing to watch her at her task. 

It makes me ask myself, am I that persistent and determined at anything? When it comes to the things I ought to be doing, achieving, investing myself in, do I have the persistence and determination that may be needed? And especially when it comes to my relationship with God and what I do for his kingdom, do I keep at the task with that kind of energy and focus? 

The Apostle Paul referred to such persistence and determination when he wrote, “To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.” (Romans 2:7 – NIV – emphasis mine) That is, eternal life doesn’t come to those who make it a one shot deal. Eternal life isn’t given to those who say they want it but refuse to live their lives with the end in sight. It doesn’t come to those who won’t persist. Rather, eternal life is the reward for those who are willing to put forth the energy and focus needed to achieve it. It’s the reward for those who with great determination persist in doing all they must do to achieve it—e.g. living a life of faith and obedience; living in a way that honors God; living in a way that makes the life to come the ultimate goal. 

Let me ask us, how determined are we to receive the reward of eternal life? Are we persisting in the what we believe and how we live? Maybe Pepper can be for us all a living illustration of what it means to live our lives persistent and determined. 

Have a great day! 

- Pastor Tim Harris




Comments