Making New Friends!

It seems that over the past few months, I’ve been meeting people in some new and different ways and making some new friends along the way. There’s the young guy in the supplement store next to the gym, where I buy my protein powder. His name is Tom. We connect about three times per week, just to chat and keep up with each other. Recently, we even exchanged phone  numbers.  There’s the neighbors who came into the neighborhood about a year ago, Diego and Iva. They even recently visited our church. And, last week, Kim and I met a couple on our bike ride around the Manasquan Reservoir, Gene and Dawn. By the time we were getting ready to leave, we were as well exchanging phone numbers and talking about doing a bike ride together. Oh, I ought to mention our neighbors Amir and Ansa and their sons who originate from Pakistan and are relatively devout Muslims. This year we brought them gifts on Ramadan and they brought us gifts for Easter. Amir now calls me, “brother.” 

And, talking about friends, I have to mention my friend Ronny from the church who this year has become my running and workout buddy. He’s a lot younger and stronger than I am, but we have a great time pushing each other and growing in our faith together.  We are quite different from each other, our backgrounds are not at all similar, yet we have bonded around not just running and working out, but around our faith in Christ. In fact, he’s become a true spiritual son to me. 

I think I’ve been learning  to be more aware of the people who come across my path. After all, it just might be that some of them are there by divine appointment.  I’ve begun to realize how, in the busyness of our lives, it’s so easy to just pass by the people I encounter along the way. I might give a nod or say a quick “hello,” but I so easily become consumed with myself, my family, my work, etc. that I fail to take time to get to know the person who is standing right in front of me. What are their needs? How can I bless them? Many of them might be quite different from me in life-experience, goals, values, faith, etc., but whatever the case, I’ve been called to be a blessing to each of them, to let them know something of the love of Christ, and hopefully to even lead someone into the Kingdom of God.  

The Bible says, “And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.” (Hebrews 13:16 – NIV) and, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”  (Galatians 6:9-10) 

Who are the people God may have brought into your life recently? Is there someone he wants you to bless by praying for them, doing good for them, and even sharing the love of Christ with them?  Let’s be a blessing to those around us…and maybe even make some new friends along the way! 

Have a great day! 

Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments