The Trivial Matters of Life

This past week I’ve been working on re-staining and re-sealing my deck. In the process, I’ve run into one obstacle and challenge after another. Thankfully, one of the men in our church who has a flooring company sent out one of his guys to sand down the whole deck and apply the new stain. Unfortunately, the stain I had bought was not what I thought it was, so now I have a deck with a stain and color I absolutely hate! Ugh!  

On the other hand, I need to remind myself, compared to what many people are facing in their lives today (even some of you), the difficulties I’ve had with my deck this week are pretty trivial.  After all, when I think of the loss families in Uvalde, Texas are facing as they bury their little ones, the stain on my deck is of little to no real concern. I may not like the color that it turned out to be, but I’m not standing beside a casket weeping over my 10 year old child. I may have an extra task or two on my hands, but I’m not having to live with the empty seat at the dinner table or the birthdays that will never be celebrated. My life will go on pretty much according to schedule, in spite of the color of my deck; those parents in Texas have had their lives brought to a screeching halt and turned upside-down. 

If we are not careful, we can end up making a really big deal out of things in life that are so inconsequential. We easily become wrapped up in our own little world such that the most trivial things in life become a bit too big and too important in our eyes. At the same time, because we have become so self-focused, we fail to see and respond to the real pain people around us are experiencing. Our vision can become so myopic that the only things we can think about is the color of our deck, whether or not our order was delivered on time, the speed at which the waiter brought out our meal, etc., etc.  It’s not until something truly important and tragic happens in our life that we then realize how small, petty, and self-focused we’ve become. (Unfortunately, some of you have already been there.) 

I want you to know, Jesus was never and is never like that.  Jesus read and applied these words written by the prophet Isaiah to himself: “The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners… to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy  instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.” (Isaiah 61:1-3 – NIV)  
Jesus’ life wasn’t focused on himself, his needs, and the trivial matters of life. He lived his life focused on the poor, the brokenhearted, the prisoners, and those who found themselves in mourning. He came as an instrument of healing, help, comfort, and salvation. And, I believe he calls us to live our lives the same. 
So, let’s be careful not to get so caught up with the trivial matters of our lives that we fail to see the needs of those around us. Let’s ask God to use us to bring help, healing, and comfort to the brokenhearted of our world—to be Jesus to those who need to know his love, grace, and mercy in the midst of a world that too often brings pain, grief, brokenness. 

And, let’s pray for those families who today find themselves in grief in Uvalde, Texas. 

Have a great day! 

- Pastor Tim Harris  

Comments