Playing the Same Song...Over and Over Again!

Have you ever just wanted to listen to a song over and over again to the point that you keep on hitting the repeat button (or icon)? For some reason a song gets to you and you want to hear it again and again. Maybe you end up playing it so many times, the people around you begin to beg you to please play something else! 

Such has been the case for me with two songs recently that I discovered on Spotify. The first song is “Shepherd” recorded by both Leeland and Cece Winans. It’s a song that encourages us to trust Jesus as our Shepherd, believing that as we do, everything in life will be so much better. The second song is “Be My Shalom” by Evan Craft. In fact, he recorded the song in English, Spanish, and in a bilingual version. The song is a prayer for the comfort, healing, and peace that Jesus our Shepherd is able to bring into our lives by means of his Holy Spirit.  For some reason, these two songs have resonated with me in recent days both musically and lyrically such that, I keep playing them over and over again!  (I’ve put YouTube links below.) 

As I listened to each of these songs back to back, it struck me that each of them refers to Jesus as our Shepherd. “Shepherd” has this refrain, “The Lord is our shepherd; The Lord is our helper; Oh-oh-oh Jesus lead us; And show us the way to follow You”  In “Be My Shalom,” we hear these lyrics, “Be my shalom; You call my name when my heart starts to wander; And You shepherd me and lead me to still waters.”  I think I keep on playing these songs because they remind me of how much I really do need the shepherding work of Jesus in my life! 

David declared long ago, “The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.”  (Psalm 23:1-3 – ESV) Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep…I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.” (John 10:11, 14-15 – ESV) 

I don’t think we could ever sing too many times, “The Lord is my Shepherd.” I don’t think we can repeat too many times, “Jesus is my good Shepherd. “  I don’t think it will ever grow old to hear it said and sung, that Jesus is our “great Shepherd.” (Hebrews 13:20) After all, what an incredible blessing it is to know that we have a shepherd like Jesus who is able to lead us, provide for us, and care for us!  In fact, maybe today you need to hit the repeat button (or icon) in your head and heart and give thanks that Jesus is your Shepherd!

“For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.” (Revelation 7:17 – ESV) 

Have a great day! 

- Pastor Tim Harris 


“Shepherd” sung by Cece Winans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWknnFaVi1Y

“Shepherd” sung by Leeland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0iu2aPEKpQ

“Be My Shalom” sung by Evan Craft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg568qNDctU


Comments