The Passing of a Patriarch

This past week, Kim’s dad, Ronald Ericksen, passed away. “Dad” (as even I called him) was just about one month shy of his 89th birthday. Although not completely unexpected, we are all saddened by the fact that he is no longer with us. After all, we will miss his stories (many of which were on “the list”), his humor, his music, his words of advice, and most of all his kindness and love.  

I knew Kim’s dad from the time I was about 14 years old—that’s about 48 years!  For many years, to me he was the song leader at our church who at times would lead a song with a tear in his eye, a board member, a Bible teacher, a helper to the youth ministry, and the husband and father in a family that would eventually become my family as well. He was always well respected and deeply appreciated for his integrity, steadiness, and spirituality.   


Kim's mom and dad at Jonathan's wedding - July 2015

When I married Kim, I came to see her dad in new ways. Not only did he live out his faith within the church, but he did so as well in his home. He was a true patriarch to his family, seeking to pass on to each one his children and grandchildren a legacy of spiritual fervor. I remember the many times we sat around a Thanksgiving dinner table (or some other holiday dinner) with his children and grandchildren there listening as he began the meal with maybe a word from the scriptures and a prayer that was so much more than a formality but instead came from deep within his heart. I was always struck by the fact that his love for Christ and for his family could come through so clearly in a moment that so many others just pass through or even gloss over. 

If I could choose one scripture that would describe my father-in-law’s heart and life it would be Paul’s words, “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”  (1 Corinthians 11:1 – NIV) His greatest desire was to pass on his faith and love for Christ to his children, grandchildren, and all those with whom he came into contact. His heart was to set a pattern by which the rest of us could live our lives; and he did so very, very well. 

There are not that many men whom I have met whom I would point to as a true spiritual leaders and patriarch within their family and home. Ronald Ericksen was one of them. His life was and continues to be a great challenge to live my life in such a way that I too might be able to say to those who are coming behind me, “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”  

I pray such would be the case with each of our lives. 


Thanks “Dad” for the great legacy you have left us. 

- Pastor Tim Harris 


Comments