Putting Up the Flag!

One of the highlights of my childhood was watching my father put up the flag on Memorial Day and Independence Day (and probably for Veterans’ Day). Since he didn’t fly the flag year-round, when my father did take out the flag I knew it was a special day. And for me, it wasn’t merely seeing the flag flying from the front of our house as much as it was watching my father take the flag out from where he had stored it, unfurl it from its pole, and place it in the holder that was attached to the house. I just loved watching the whole process. I loved watching my father put up the flag. 

From early on, I determined that one day I would bring the same experience to my own household. Thus, each year I make sure that when Memorial Day and Independence Day arrive, my flag is ready to fly. This year that meant putting up a new flagpole holder. And as of today, my flag is flying from the front of our house, ready to greet those who may arrive and to remind everyone that this weekend is a special one.  

For us as Americans, our flag is symbol of our freedom. On this weekend, it especially reminds us of the many lives that were lost in battle that we might live in that freedom—a freedom that we so often take for granted. The putting up of a flag for Memorial Day is a way to honor those who laid down their lives for us. It’s no wonder that on this weekend, we love to put up our flags! 

But allow me to remind us that, not only ought we put up our flags as we remember the blessings we have experienced as a nation, but we ought to as well pray. A weekend like this ought to prod us to pray that God would work within our nation in such a way that there would be a great turning towards him. We need to pray not so much for a political party or political agenda to take hold, but for hearts to be touched by God, brought to repentance, and turned from the wrong to that which is right, just, pure, true. 

So, as you put up your flag this weekend take a moment to lift up a prayer to God, thanking him for the blessings of our land and for those who gave their lives on our behalf.  And ask him for a move of his Spirit across our nation that many would come to know his saving grace.  

“…if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”  (1 Chronicles 7:14 – NIV) 

Have a great day! Happy Memorial Day! 


- Pastor Tim Harris


Comments