Waiting for a Walk!

Due to my recent back surgery, and even in the weeks leading up to it, I have not been able to walk our dog, Sadie. When my sons and son-in-law were around, they would take her on some pretty long walks and even runs. She really had a great time with them. From the time they left, however, Kim has had to do both the early morning and late afternoon walks. But because Kim gets home a little bit later than Sadie is used to, Sadie keeps coming to me and looking up at me, as if asking me if I won’t take her for a walk. The best I can do is let her out into the backyard. But for her, that’s not the same. When Kim does come home Sadie is excited as can be, knowing that she’s finally going to get to go on a walk. For much of the day, however, Sadie just has to wait.  

I can identify well with Sadie these days. I too am looking forward to being able to go for a walk. Not that I’m bedridden. But for me, walking around the house or just a block up and back with my cane is not really going for a walk.  When earlier this week I asked my physical therapist if I could begin taking longer walks, she just laughed and told me to be patient. So, I continue to wait. 

The Psalmist wrote, “Our soul waits for the LORD; he is our help and our shield.” (Psalm 33:20 - NIV) and “But for you, O LORD, do I wait; it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.” (Psalm 38:15 - NIV) Whatever was happening in his life or in the life of the people, he knew that there were times when we are called to wait. 

Quite a number of years ago, I had a big decision to make. I was getting a bit antsy about it and wanted to move forward one way or another. But one night as I sat and prayed and read my Bible, I came upon Psalm 27:14 which says, “Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!”  In that moment I knew it was not the time to act, but a time to wait—to wait for God to direct and make the way clear.  

You and I both know, waiting can be hard; it requires much patience on our part. But there are times when God asks us to wait. There are times when we are called to wait in faith as we trust God with our lives, believing that, when the time is right, God will answer our prayers and lead us into his will for our lives. 


If today you find yourself in a place of waiting, don’t be discouraged. Rather, allow this to be a time for you to grow in your faith as you patiently wait upon him for the answer. 

“For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.” (Romans 8:24-25 – ESV)


Have a great day! 

Pastor Tim Harris 


Comments