With a Little Help!

I haven’t written one of these Pastor’s Devotion blogs for a few weeks. Since the beginning of the year, I have been dealing with terrible back and leg pain due to a large cyst that had developed in my spinal column. Just before Joanna’s wedding at the beginning of January, I had a nerve block to help me get through the wedding weekend. The following week, I had cortisone shots in my spine (which didn’t help at all!). Eventually on February 2, I had surgery to remove the cyst and fuse two of my lumbar joints, titanium screws and all!  Needless to say, it’s been a long couple of months which left me in no shape to sit and write. 

Throughout this time, I’ve had to put aside my sense of self-sufficiency and pride and learn to depend upon the people around me, much more than I have in the past. Both before the surgery and especially afterwards I found myself basically unable to do anything for myself; I needed help with everything. Thankfully, Kim has been there to take care of me and has carried much of the load. My children and their spouses all came at different times to pitch in. Each one proved to be a big help during this recovery period, helping with meals, shoveling snow, and getting me up and down the stairs to my bedroom. (My grandson Jesse even came to cheer me up!) My neighbor helped with some snow removal. Friends from the church brought over meals. In the end, a lot of people pitched in to give me the help I’ve needed.  

Not only have I had to depend upon the people around me for help, but I have also been very dependent upon a few devices sent home with me from the hospital: a walker, a cane. a device to pick things up from the floor, and even a tool to help me put on my socks. Now let me say, when the physical therapists first gave me the walker and the cane in the hospital, I kind of looked at them and felt a bit humiliated. After all, walkers and canes and such are for old people, so I thought. But I soon realized that they were given to me not to shame me, but to help me. And help me they have. 

We all have times in our lives when we need a little help. Pride can get in the way of receiving the help we need. Humility opens us up to the help that is available from those around us, the “devices” that we may need, and most of all, the help that God himself offers us. Situations come into each of our lives when we need to allow ourselves to receive the help that has been made available to us. 

The Psalmist wrote, “Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life.” (Psalm 54:4 – ESV) and “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1 – ESV) The writer to the Hebrews gives us these instructions, “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16 – ESV) 


Let me encourage you today, if you find yourself in need of a little help, not to allow pride to get in your way. Rather, allow family and friends to help you as they can. Take advantage of the little blessings in life that might be of help to you. Most of all, pray and ask God to be you helper. I know he will come and help you in your time of need, even as he has done for me. 


Have a great day! 

Pastor Tim Harris 


Comments

  1. Thank you Pastor! Have been in this position recently as well. Am so thankful for the people He sends into our lives and also thankful that He provides Himself to give us just what we need when we need it! It is a reminder too that when we are 'back on our feet' that we need to be the helpers to those around us who are struggling or just need a helping hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you pastor for the words of encouragement. Some times we just have to stop and listen to what God is telling us and to see what he is showing us. Not all old people use a cane, lol. God bless and we will be praying for you and Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your responses and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment