The Long-Distance Race!

When I began running a few years ago, I began with 2 – 2/12 mile runs gradually working my way up to a 5K (3.1 miles). My goal was to be able to run a 5K race at a 9 minute/mile pace or better. So, I worked on getting faster for that particular distance. Soon, I was able to run at that pace with my best 5K time being an 8:26 mile. My problem was, I couldn’t run more than a 5K, mostly because I didn’t know how to pace myself for the longer run. 

This past spring and summer, however, I began working on longer runs. I began doing more 4 mile runs and worked my way up to a 10K (6.2 miles). My longest run thus far has been 7 miles. The key to these longer runs has been the pace, which for me is about a 10 minute/mile pace. (Yesterday I ran 5 miles at a 9:37/mile pace!) I have found, if I want to go the longer distance I’ve got to properly pace myself at the start. The goal in this case is not so much the speed as it is the distance to be covered. 

A lot of people begin things in life as if life was a series of short sprints. But, I have found that most of life is about the long run—e.g. the long run of getting an education, of building a career, of marriage and family, of doing ministry. So many people begin whatever new endeavor is before them filled with excitement, running at full speed, but part way through they find themselves tired, burned out, or just not having the desire to keep on going. They haven’t paced themselves properly. And unfortunately, such is the case with so many people when it comes to their walk with Christ. They begin their faith journey on a spiritual high that propels them forward at full speed but after a while they drop out of the race, not realizing that they had not entered a sprint, but a long-distance race. 

The Apostle Paul often likened our life of faith to a race, that is a long-distance race. Thus, he was continually encouraging the believers to stay focused on the finish line and to keep on running. To the Philippians he wrote, “Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:13-14 – NIV) To the Corinthians he wrote, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.” (1 Corinthians 9:24 – NIV) Finally, at the end of his life he wrote, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” (2 Timothy 4:7 – NIV) 


I want to encourage you today to pace yourself for the long-distance race of faith. There’s no benefit in being filled with excitement and energy today but dropping out tomorrow. Rather our goal ought to be to run with Christ today, tomorrow, and all the way to the finish line. So, let’s set the pace, doing day to day the things we know we ought to do, living for Christ each step of the way, and focusing on the eternal prize that God has for us in eternity. Let’s keep on running! 

Have a great day! 

Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments