A Walk on the Boardwalk!

With all that’s happening in the world around us—e.g. the pandemic, protests, racial tensions, political fights, etc.—it’s hard to find a place to escape for just a bit and feel a little normalcy and calm. For me that place is the boardwalk. Taking a walk in the evening on the boardwalk with Kim or going for a run in the morning or late afternoon seems to take me away from the news and the stresses of what we are facing these days. There’s just a different kind of vibe when you walk alongside the beach, see and hear the waves breaking on the shoreline, and feel the sea breeze blowing on your face. I know it sounds like I might be romanticizing it a bit, but I do feel blessed to live so close to the beach and be able to walk or run the boardwalk on a regular basis. 

The Long Branch Boardwalk...a great place to walk or run!
 One of the things I’ve noticed is that, on the boardwalk people seem to be in a really good mood. As they walk the boardwalk, they’re usually with a spouse, child, or friend, chatting, laughing, and just enjoying being with each other. Since it is such a large outdoor space, people are less tense about passing each other (unlike what one feels in the supermarket). They seem to genuinely enjoy being out and being with each other. It just feels like a different world as you walk the boardwalk.  

We all need those times and places wherein we can, at least to some degree, get away from the stresses, busyness, and tensions of life. We all need to find that “happy place” wherein we can get away from the news and relax, at least a little bit. I’ve learned, however, that it’s not just about getting to a physical location, for one can be in the nicest and calmest of places and yet feel all kinds of internal turmoil. Ultimately, it’s about finding an inner sanctuary wherein one is able to find peace and calm; a place in one’s heart and mind wherein one can rest.

The Bible shows us that, that place is ultimately found in the presence of God. The Psalmist wrote, “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” (Psalm 91:1 – NIV) The prophet Isaiah wrote, “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” (Isaiah 26:3 – NIV) Thus, we are invited to “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)

As much as I love taking a walk or run on the boardwalk, I’m reminded today that the ultimate place of rest is found by regularly entering into the presence of God. Whether I’m at home, in the church, or on the boardwalk real peace and calm is found by allowing my heart and mind to rest in him. Thus, time and again I must remind myself that he is with me and that he is more than able and willing to take care of me.

Whether or not you or I live near a boardwalk is not the issue. The real question is, are we living our lives resting in the presence of God? In his presence is where we will find “fullness of joy!” (Psalm 16:11 – KJV)

Have a great day! And, why not go take a walk on the boardwalk (if there’s one near you!)?

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments