Not a Superhero...A Shepherd!

This morning I went to our local bagel shop. Less than a week ago, they were allowing two people at the counter at a time. Now, one can only order via phone, pay by credit card (over the phone and with a $10 minimum), and have your order brought out to your car.  I ended up standing outside the door of the store, calling in my order, fumbling for my credit card, having to order more than I wanted to order, and having to give my numbers twice since I read one of the numbers wrong the first time through. By the time my order was brought out to my car, I felt rattled. But I think we’re all used to be rattled these days!

Life has really changed in the last couple of weeks—and most especially the last few days!  Who would have thought that a virus that we once read about on the other side of the world, would cause the shutdown of our schools, force thousands to work from home, and cause us to have church services on-line?  Restaurants are empty with only take-out being offered by those that are yet open, major retail stores are closed, and supermarkets have partially bare shelves (well, some shelves are actually bare!). If this was a movie, we would call upon Superman or some other superhero to come and fight the enemy and rescue us from all of this. But this is no movie! There is no superhero waiting in the wings to fly in and save the day. 

Jesus is Our Great Shepherd!
I was reminded this morning, however, as I was reading in John 10 (today’s reading in our church’s 40 Day Journey Bible reading), that there is One on whom we can call in the midst of all of our troubles. We have a good shepherd who said that he came “…that (we) may have life and have it to the full.” (John 10:10) He is the shepherd who knows us intimately and has promised never to abandon his sheep—the shepherd who “lays down his life for his sheep.” (vs. 11) Thus, no matter how difficult our lives may become or how dark our world may be, he has promised to always be with us. He is the shepherd of whom David wrote so many years earlier, “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” (Psalm 23:4 – NIV)

I want to encourage you to call upon the Lord Jesus, the One who is our good shepherd. Especially, during those times when you may begin to feel a bit rattled and overwhelmed by all that is taking place around you, call out to the One who has laid down his life for you and who has promised to never leave you nor forsake you. Let him shepherd your heart and soul through this time. Now, more than ever before, may be the time when we need to call upon our Shepherd!

“Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.” (Hebrews 13:20-21 – ESV)  

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments