Childhood Memories


What was your childhood like? For many of us, we look back on those early years with great nostalgia as we remember riding our bikes down the block, playing whiffle ball in the backyard, exploring the woods, etc.  I know some of us may have some very difficult childhood memories, yet for many of us they were days that we might consider to be a lot more carefree than what we are dealing with in our current stage in life.

I am the firstborn of five siblings; I have two sisters and two brothers (in that order). Thus, I never remember ever really being alone. There was always someone to talk to, play with, and even fight with! We were always together, doing something inside or outside of the house.  Yes, sometimes we seemed to get in each other’s ways as we fought for our own space, yet I don’t think any of us would trade the memories of what it was like growing up together.  Even today, we are all constantly in touch with each other. We love getting together, especially during the holidays. And, of course, our conversations so often reflect back to our childhood memories. 

My siblings and me at my 60th birthday!
In Psalm 71, the psalmist was reflecting upon his life, all the way back to his childhood.  In that psalm he writes, “For you have been my hope, O Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth. From birth I have relied on you….” (vs. 5-6). Later in the psalm he says, “Since my youth, O God you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.” (vs. 17) What wonderful childhood memories he had!

As I read those words, I can’t help but reflect upon my own life and the way in which God has been with me, even from my childhood.  Sometimes his presence may not have been as evident as at other times; truthfully, there were times when I didn’t live as if he was really there. But looking back now, even all the way back to my earliest years, I can say with great confidence, he has always been there, working in and through every season of my life. And I know, that the same is true for each of us.  That is, whether we realized it or not, God was at work in our lives from our earliest years to draw us close to himself.  
                                               
In the end, no matter what our childhood may have been like—or our teen years, adult years, or even later years—God wants us to know that he has always been and is still at work in our lives. Nothing happens in our lives without his knowledge. And, he is constantly making himself available to us, to help us, lead us, guide us, and bless us.  He works in our lives when we are young. And, he works in our lives when we are old. 

So, let’s trust him with our lives. And, let’s pray as the psalmist prayed, “Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.”  (vs. 18)

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments