The Ride of Your Life!

Last week my brother John and his family came to visit.  That meant going to the beach (of course!) for the afternoon with him, his wife, Kivian, and their four young boys. When we got to the ocean the waves were perfect for the kids to ride their boogey boards—not too big, but coming fast.  So after a bit, John and I took his two oldest boys down to the area where they were allowed to ride. 

I watched for a bit as my nephews, Landon and Nathan, tried to get their board out beyond the breaking waves in order to get a ride. At their size, working against the force of the waves was tough. Not only that, but it seemed they couldn’t fully get on the board.  So, I decided to help out.  Taking Nathan by the hand, I told him to hold onto the board and I would hold onto him until we got further out.  As the waves beat against me, I pulled Nathan up and over the on-coming waves till we got out to where the larger waves were coming in.  When we were out at the right spot, I helped Nathan get fully on the board, and at just the right moment gave him a push to get him ahead of the wave. The result was the ride of his life as Nathan went flying all the way up to the beach.  When the ride was over, he got off the board screaming with excitement!  Then it was time to give Landon a ride; and then, a few more rides for each of them. I have to say, their excitement became my excitement!

Not to compare myself to God, but I can’t help but believe that God does the very same for us.  So often we find ourselves struggling against the currents and waves of life. We seem not to be able to make any progress.  But God steps in, takes us by the hand and pulls us through. The result is, we find ourselves being pulled up and over those things that would normally knock us over and keep us down. Not only that, but it’s not unlike God to not just get us through, but to give us an incredible “ride”—a life filled with blessing, excitement, and his life!

Today, you might feel like the challenges of your life are pushing against you and about to knock you down. You may be struggling to make even the smallest bit of progress.  If so, I want to encourage you to put your trust in God. Allow him to pull you through.  Allow him to take you to where he knows you need to be. You just may end up with the ride of your life!

“…those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”  (Isaiah 40:31 – NIV) 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris


Comments