Daydreaming in the Backyard

There’s a good possibility that in the next few months we will be selling my mom’s house—that is, the house in which my siblings and I grew up.  With my dad having passed away in May and considering my mom’s current health, the house is too big and, for the most part, unmanageable for her.  Of course, there are lots of emotions associated the house and the thought of its eventual sale is difficult for all of us. 

The other day, I was there taking care of some things and ended up slowly walking around the yard doing a bit of daydreaming.  I found myself picturing one of our many wiffle ball games that we played as kids, noting where each of the bases would have been.  I was reminded of my grandfather’s springtime visits and how I would find him, early in the morning, sitting in the side yard with his coffee and his Bible.  I thought about the many hours I spent as a teen mowing the lawn, trimming the bushes, and weeding, remembering exactly where every tree and bush used to be, many which are now gone.  I could picture the old swing set that by today’s standards would be considered too dangerous for little kids. I purposefully allowed myself to do a bit of daydreaming in the backyard, feeling as if I needed to process some of my memories, thoughts, and emotions. 

Sometimes I wish I could go back to those days of hitting the wiffle ball and running the bases or sitting with my grandfather under the big tree.  Life seemed so much more simple back then.  Compared to the past, my present and future seem so much more complex. It is tempting to long for days gone by.

Yet we all know, we can’t go back; we can only move forward.  We cannot step into the past; we can only step into the future.  Thankfully however, as we do, the God of the past, present, and future, goes with us.  No matter what our past has been like, how difficult our present may be, or how uncertain our future may feel, as we trust God with our lives, he takes care of us and promises to go with us.  Thus, we can look ahead filled with peace, confidence, and courage.

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9 – NIV) 

Have a great day! 

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments