Grandma's Old Neighborhood


One evening this past week I was on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, so I decided to swing by my grandmother’s old neighborhood. For 68 years she had lived on 114th St between Riverside Dr. and Broadway.  It’s been about four years now since we moved my grandmother out of her apartment to an assisted living facility in NJ.  (She passed away in April 2011.)). And, it had been just as long since I had been back to the neighborhood where not only had my grandmother lived all those years, but where my mother had grown up and where we, as the grandchildren, had spent so much time. 

After finding parking right on her block, I decided to walk the neighborhood for a bit.  I went by the bookstore up on the corner where we always loved to stop and peruse the books that were on display outside the store.  I peaked in the Cuban restaurant where my grandmother loved to get shrimp “in the green sauce” and churros to have with her coffee (always black!).  I stopped by Nussbaum and Wu, the bakery/deli type place where she and I had shared many coffees and Danishes through the years. I ate dinner there.  Just before I left the area, I decided to ring the doorbell of the superintendent of the building where she had lived.  Franky, who had known my grandmother for many years, came out.  I informed him of her passing.  We spent a few minutes talking about her old apartment – now renovated and sold off as a condo.  We said our goodbyes.  All I could see of her apartment were the shades in the windows—fancy shades that she would have loved, but would probably have never bought. 

Being back in my grandmother’s old neighborhood was quite bittersweet.  It was nice to be back in what is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Manhattan and to reminisce in my mind.  At the same time, it was a bit sad.  As I walked down the sidewalks and glanced in the shops and restaurants, I thought about all the times my grandmother had stopped in each one of them and how many of the owners once knew her by name.  Yet now, a mere four years later, no one was missing her.  No one was looking for her.  And, only a few of them might have recognized her name. 

Now, I don’t want to sound depressing but, I couldn’t help but think to myself, I guess, that’s the way life is.  We are here for a while and then we are gone.  People may miss us for a time—but only a few really remember us.  So, what ought we do?  How ought we to live?  Do we just give up and say, If no one is going to remember me, it’s of no use? 

The writer of Ecclesiastes, as he pondered these things answers this way, “Go eat your food with gladness and drink your wine with a joyful heart…Always be clothed in white and anoint your head with oil. Enjoy life you’re your wife…Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might….” (Ecclesiastes 9:7-10 – NIV)  The Apostle Paul wrote, And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”  (Colossians 3:17 – NIV) 

In other words, the answer isn’t to give up on life, but to live it to it’s fullest.  It is to live in such a way that our hearts are always filled with gratitude toward God for all we have and all he allows us to do.

So today, let’s commit ourselves to living our lives the way God intended for us to live them: filled with enjoyment, gratitude, and purpose.  In the end, life isn’t about how many people remember us, but how we have used the life that God has given to us.    

Have a great day! 

Pastor Tim Harris


Comments