Is Jesus All We Need?


This week I’ve been following the “40 Days Through John" Bible reading that we’ve been doing as a church, both with CityVine Church and Promise International Fellowship (the two churches I pastor).  We began on the first day of Lent and the reading schedule will take us right up to Easter Sunday. 

The other day I was reading in John 4, the account of the “royal official” whose son was dying.  What caught my attention was the desperation with which this noble, high-ranking man came to Jesus.  John 4:47 says, “… he (the royal official) went to (Jesus) and begged him to come and heal his son who was close to death.”  (NIV)

Here was a man who at other times in his life probably spent his time on things other than searching out the latest and greatest teacher passing through town. Most of the time he was probably caught up in meetings and business and discussions and debates. But, now his son was dying.  That drastically changed the picture of his life. At the moment he wasn’t interest in business or politics or theology, in status or protocol.  With his son on his deathbed, all he wanted was for someone, Jesus, to intervene.  He needed Jesus to heal his son.  He really, really needed Jesus to step into his life.  Thus, he “begged him to come.” He asked for nothing more and nothing less.

Considering this royal official’s desperation for Jesus made me wonder, have I ever been that desperate for Jesus?  And, how desperate am I for the work of Jesus in my life today? 

It’s so easy for Jesus to become just one of the many things that’s going on in my life.  But in the end, Jesus isn’t just another good teacher passing through with a few nice ideas to dispense.  He is Savior and Healer! He is Provider and Peace-giver!  He is Life and Light!  He is the Source of all hope and joy!  And, I could go on.  The truth is, I desperately need Him!

It’s no wonder the old songwriter wrote, “He’s all I need…Jesus is all I need.”   In more recent years we’ve sung, “I’m desperate for You; I’m lost without You.”  I think the royal official of John 4 could have identified with either set of lyrics. 

So, let me ask you, how desperate are you for Jesus?  Maybe it’s time that we all follow the royal official’s lead, putting some of the other stuff of life aside, and cry out to Jesus—maybe even beg him to step into our lives.  As we do, I know he will come. 

Have a great day.

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments