Another Rite of Passage

This past Monday my son Nathaniel passed through another adolescent rite of passage: he got his driver’s license.  Since I was home that day and didn’t need my car, I let him take it to school. So, for the first time he drove without Kim or me by his side.  I’m sure it felt good to him, even if it was only a mile or so.  On the other hand, as I watched him drive away my heart sunk a little bite. I even think a tear came to my eye.  Not because I was worried about him driving, but because I realized another one of my children had become a little less dependent on me as their father.  For a moment, it was almost as if time was standing still, for it was a sign to me that in just a short time, my role as a parent would begin to wind down.  In that moment, I sensed that time was moving on and there was little I could do about it. 

As we go through our societal rites of passage—either our own or those of our children—we are reminded of the fact that time is constantly moving forward.  The day one gets their driver’s license, graduation day, a wedding day, etc. are all reminders of the movement of time. Little things like the first time a guy shaves or the first time a girl puts on makeup, the first gray hair that shows up on one’s head or the little aches and pains that begin to show up in one’s body reveal to us in both subtle and not so subtle ways that time is marching on.  Especially when we find ourselves faced with a critical illness or the death of a loved one we are almost forced to realize the brevity of our time here on this earth.  

The Apostle Paul wrote, “Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.” (Ephesians 5:15-16 – NIV) More literally, the Apostle Paul tells us to be careful to use properly “every point in time.”  Figuratively, he speaks of buying back or redeeming each point in time. 

The thought behind Paul’s words is that our time here on this earth is limited.  Not only that, but he says it is as well filled with “evil” or “hardships.”  We never do know what will happen next.  Thus, it is imperative that we would use the time that we have, wisely. It is important that we not waste our time. Once it is gone we will never get it back.

I want to encourage you today to reflect upon your life and how you are using your time.  Check to see if whether or not you are using your time in a way that brings real meaning to life.  Most of all, let’s use our time in a way that blessing to others and glory to God.

Have a great day!

-Pastor Tim Harris




Comments