The Weatherman Is Always Right!

My father-in-law used to say, “The weatherman is always right!”  After all, he would point out, when they give a forecast that says, “partly cloudy” or “partly sunny,” whether it's cloudy or sunny, they’re right. When they say, “a chance of rain” or “a chance of snow” or whatever percentages they give, whether or not it rains or snows, they’re right. I know it’s a crazy way to think about it, but he did make his point. 

Like many of you, I find myself to be pretty dependent on the weather forecast. Almost as soon as I get up in the morning I check the temperature and the forecast for the day to determine what I should wear. As I’m planning my running or cycling for the week, I’m checking the daily and even hourly forecast. This weekend, with my son Nathaniel and his wife Sarah having their wedding celebration with family and friends (they got married this past August), and with part of it planned to be outside, we are anxiously checking the weather forecast. I think you get the point: We all live our lives to some degree dependent on the weather forecast so that we can plan our lives accordingly. 

Although we can be thankful for the weather forecasts we receive, we need to recognize that the only one who really knows what is going to happen day to day and hour to hour, is God. That includes the weather. And that includes every other aspect of life. He knows when it will rain and when the sun will shine. He knows what will happen in my personal life as well as what will take place on a global scale. Ultimately, only God knows what will take place tomorrow and in the days to come. And that thought ought to affect the way we live and how it is we make our plans. 

The writer of Proverbs said, “Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.” (Proverbs 27:1 – NIV) The Apostle James wrote, “Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, ‘If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.’” (James 4:14-15)  The instruction of the Scriptures is to recognize that, since only God truly knows the future we ought to first and foremost, look to him and trust him with our lives and our future. 

One song writer put it this way: “Many things about tomorrow, I don’t seem to understand; But I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand.” (Ira Stamphill)  

So, whether it’s raining or sunny; whether the economy is good or bad; whether we are healthy or sick; whether our plans come to fruition or not, we look to God filled with faith, trusting him with our lives. After all, he is the one who knows what is ahead and he is the one who is able to help us through whatever tomorrow may bring. 

Have a great day…gotta go and check the weather!  

- Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments