Thankful For a Morning Run

When possible I like to get a run in, early in the day—as do many other runners. Today was one of those days I was able to do so. So, I was down at the boardwalk in Long Branch, NJ by 7:00 am to do a six mile run. And, it was absolutely beautiful. The sun was still low on the horizon, its rays gleaming off of the ocean. The beach was for the most part empty, except for a few surfers who were trickling in. A handful of people were walking the boardwalk.  The air felt clean, clear, and just slightly warm. It was a beautiful morning for a run. I was so glad to be there, and so thankful for the ability and opportunity to run.  

I know some people can’t imagine wanting to go for a run. People will tell me all the time, “The only time I run is when I’m being chased!” or “The only thing I run for is dinner!” And, I get it. Not everyone enjoys running. For me, however, there is something about running that makes me feel alive, especially when I can run in the morning—and most especially, when I can run near the ocean. It’s a time for me to not only run, but to clear my head, to talk to God, and worship him. In fact, considering the number of physical challenges I’ve faced over the past couple of years, before, during, and after each run I thank God for the ability and the opportunity to run. It’s something I don’t ever want to take for granted. 

Unfortunately, however, it’s so easy for us to take for granted the life that we’ve been given. Too often we lose sight of the small blessings that make up our daily lives: the home we have, the food on our table, the family and friends we have around us….the ability to walk, work, play, run. And when we do, we end up complaining about life and all the things we don’t have. Rather than living lives of gratitude, a terrible sense of ingratitude begins to seep out of us. Rather than being filled with contentment, discontentment begins to settle in. Oh, I don’t want that to be me! 

The Apostle Paul wrote, “But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.” (1 Timothy 6:6-8)  Elsewhere he tells us that we ought to be “overflowing with thankfulness.”  (Colossians 2:7) 

What a great way to live: filled with contentment and gratitude.  That doesn’t mean that everything in our lives is perfect. It doesn’t mean we will have no difficulties or challenges. But it does mean that we will remain conscious of and thankful for the many small blessings that make up our daily lives; that our lives will be lived in such a way that we will naturally overflow with thankfulness. 

Part of what that means to me is, being thankful each and every time I get to go on a morning run!

Have a great day! 

- Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments