Moving Day!


-->
Right now I’m down in Arlington, Virginia to help our son Nathaniel move into his new apartment as he prepares to begin his grad school career.  Of course, it’s a lot of work—as anyone who has ever moved knows.  Yesterday, we picked up a nine-foot cargo van. I thought it would be big enough for the amount of stuff we had to transport. (We also had my SUV and Nathaniel’s car coming down.) Well, the cargo van was barely big enough.  Somehow the amount of furniture and boxes and bags grew overnight, or even as we were packing.  I found myself putting together a puzzle as I tried to make everything fit, using every corner and inch of the van and our other vehicles.  Miraculously, we got it all in! 

Then last night we took the drive down here to Arlington. This morning he will get his keys to the apartment.  Then we will spend much of the day moving that very same furniture and those same boxes and bags into the apartment.  It will be a busy day. By the end of it, we will be quite tired. But, by tonight Nathaniel will be moved in and able to stay in his new home.  After much preparation, today is his moving day!

Someday there is a very special moving day that we will all face.  All of God’s children are all going to make a move to a new home, a home called “heaven.” Jesus said, “My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”  (John 14:2-3 – NIV)  Did you catch that? Jesus is preparing a room for each of God’s children. And, I tend to think he is working hard to make sure everything is properly prepared.  He wants each room to be just right. And, when it is, he calls us home!  

But did you know that, we also have to do our part in the preparation? We also must prepare for our moving day. How? The Bible speaks to us about living a life of faith, living a life of love, and living our lives filled with hope as we persevere through the difficulties and challenges of this life.  The writer to the Hebrews put it this way, “…let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings…Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.  And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds…and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”  (Hebrews 10:22-24 – NIV) 

Moving day is coming!  Let’s live our lives preparing for that day, even as Jesus is doing his part to get our new home ready for us!

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments