Mother's Day Without Mom

This Mother’s Day will be my first one without my mom—she passed away back in December.  So this year, for the first time, I won’t be buying a card or a gift for her. Nor can I call her or try to stop by to see her.   It will be for me a different kind of Mother’s Day.

Now, I’m not trying to sound depressing. I’m not depressed or sad, just a bit pensive. I’m not grieving today over my mom’s death. In a sense the dementia that she took over her body had taken her from us long before she succumbed to death.  But, I am sensing that void that takes place when someone you’ve had all your life and someone you’ve loved is no longer there. It’s kind of weird to not be able to go visit your mom or to walk down the aisle filled with Mother’s Day cards and not look for a card that says, “To Mom.”  (Although, I did get one that says, “To My Wife!”)  It’s all just a reminder to me that life is not stagnant; that we should never take for granted those who are part of our lives; that what we have today is not necessarily what we will have tomorrow; and I could go on and on!

Thankfully, however, we have ahead of us an eternity that is secure and is everlasting. Thus, although some may find themselves in great despair as they face a Mother’s Day without their mom, those of us who have put our faith in Jesus know that the loss we feel is only temporary, for our Savior has overcome death. So, today with the Apostle Paul I proclaim, “Where, O death, is your victory?  Where, O death, is your sting?” (1 Corinthians 15:55 – NIV)

With that thought in mind, I want to share with you a poem that my
mom wrote many years ago:

“Released” by Sheila Harris

Mom with one of her cats (1970's) 
The butterfly has wings;
She soars above the trees.

The dandelions float about
with every tiny breeze.

To heights unknown our
spirits soar.

No breeze we need nor
wings.

For if we hear his still voice.
We sail to him as kings.

For heaven is our souls’
sweet hope, as rest we
may in Christ.

We shall one day release
our chains for realms of
Heaven’s delight.

Thanks Mom for reminding me of the hope we have in Christ! Happy Mother’s Day!

Have a great day and a wonderful Mother’s Day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments