A Sad & Cynical Tattoo!

Not soon after becoming a regular at the gym, I noticed that I am one of just a handful of men who do not have a tattoo. That includes men of all ages!  Of course, the tattoos become very obvious in the locker room where the guys are changing, so I can’t help but notice the variety of tattoos they have had imprinted on their bodies—mostly on shoulders and arms.  Some seem to have a story or meaning behind them, while others seem to have been chosen on a whim or in a moment of impulse. 

One guy who walked by me the other day had a tattoo on his shoulder that couldn’t be missed. His shoulders are huge and thus his tattoo is huge. It was the words, “TRUST NO ONE!”  I glanced at the words imprinted on his shoulder and thought to myself, how sad.  What a sad and cynical tattoo! What a terrible way to go through life feeling as if there is no one who can be trusted.  What a cynical way to live one’s life.  Oh, I understand the reason for the sentiment. After all, people can hurt us, betray us, and leave us stranded in our pain.  Yet to me it seems so terrible to give into such a philosophy of life. It seems to be a philosophy that will simply rob us from the joy of the wonderful relationships that are possible (e.g. the one I have with my wife and kids!). 

As I read the guy’s shoulder I wanted to stop him and say, “Actually, you should trust at least one!”  I wanted to say “I understand, it’s true that even the best and most promising of relationships with people can fail us. But, there is One who will never fail us! There is One who is always trustworthy! There is One in whom we can always put our confidence! His name is the Lord Jesus Christ!”

In the Bible we find words such as these: “The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises and faithful in all he does.”  (Psalm 145:13 – NIV)  “Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.” (Isaiah 26:4 – NIV) And, “…the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.” (1 Peter 2:6 – NIV)

I want to first of all challenge you not to give into the cynicism of our world, a cynicism that would rob us of the joy of the many wonderful relationships that are possible.  And most of all, put your trust in the Lord!  He will always be faithful. He will never fail you.  Declare with the psalmist today, “In you, Lord my God, I put my trust!”  (Psalm 25:1 – NIV)

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris


Comments