Beaten By The Wall!

You may not know it, but one of my personal activities has been going to the rock climbing gym. It’s a great workout as one uses just about every muscle in their body and there’s always a new challenge. Of course, the first challenge for me was getting used to the height—i.e. climbing a wall that at some points is over 40 feet high—and getting over the fear of dangling in the air, suspended by a rope attached to my harness.  One has to have a lot of faith in the rope, the harness, and the person down below who is belaying your rope. And, then there is the challenge of actually climbing the wall as one follows the routes laid out, routes that vary in difficulty.  I usually do the lowest grade routes, but as time has gone on I’ve been able to conquer some that are a step up on the difficulty scale.  In my mind, I’m trying to conquer the wall!

Yes...that's me up on the wall!
Sometimes, however, the wall conquers me! I will start a route, get part of the way up the wall, and then begin to struggle getting to the next rock or unable to make the next move. I knew that it was going to be a challenge, but thought I’d be able to make it to the top. Well, it doesn’t always work out that way.  It’s always a terrible feeling when I have to say to the person who is belaying the rope for me, “I can’t do it. Let me down!” Ugh!  In that moment I feel like, I’ve been beaten by the wall!

No one likes that feeling of defeat. We all want to be conquerors, victors, winners!  But, sometimes things don’t turn out that way. Some of the routes of life are harder than we anticipated.  Part of learning how to make it through life is learning how to deal with “the agony of defeat” (as per the old “Wide World of Sports” opening!). What do we do when something in life seems to have gotten the upper hand over us? How do we respond?  The truth is, we have a choice: (1) hang our heads, give up, and walk away in despair or, (2) allow ourselves to be challenged and motivated to continue climbing—maybe trying again or simply finding a new route in life. 

We who are followers of Jesus Christ need not walk away in defeat. We have an advantage called, faith! Faith helps us persevere through the defeats of life. Faith tells us that God is always at work in our lives and is able to help us, direct us, and give to us victories in ways we never expected.  Faith causes us to look beyond the defeat of the moment and trust God for something better in the days ahead. Faith reminds us that God is always there and always in control!

“… for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” (1 John 5:4-5 – NIV)  

You need not be beaten by the walls of life. Put your trust in God. Live filled with faith in the One who is able to give to you “a hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) As the song says, “Our God is greater; our God is stronger….” He’s greater and stronger than any wall in your life.

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments