Another Billy Graham

As you most likely know, this week Evangelist Billy Graham passed away at the age of 99.  Since his death, I’ve been following the news and tons of Facebook posts speaking of his life and honoring his work.  He’s been called by many, “The Pastor to the Presidents.”  He’s been recognized for his unwavering faith, his consistency of lifestyle, and his ability to cross racial, religious, and political boundaries. He was a pioneer in the use of radio and then television to spread that gospel. Most of all, his message was always clear, unclouded by the politics of the day, except for the strong stance he took against segregation. (In 1952 he insisted that his crusades no longer be segregated.)  At the end of the day, he always remained true to his calling as a preacher of the gospel.   

I would suggest that what we need today in the church and in our world is another Billy Graham.  Not that we can necessarily duplicate his crusades, as some have tried to do. But we need Christian leaders, who will make the preaching of the gospel and the call of Christ their primary focus. We need leaders who can cross boundaries and yet remain true to the gospel message. We need men and women who will not allow the politics of the day to suck them in to the point that they lose their ability to preach to all people regardless of their race, religion, or politics.  We need leaders with strong convictions and moral fortitude.  We need Christian leaders who can speak into the lives of our presidents and other civil leaders in a way that builds bridges rather than burns them.  Yes, we could use another Billy Graham, even multiple Billy Grahams. 

I know I will never be another Billy Graham.  My influence will never be as broad as his was. I will never be able to preach as he did, nor lead as many to Christ as he did.  And, the list of the differences between Billy Graham and myself can go on and on.  Yet, as I have reflected upon his life this past week, I’ve been challenged to learn from him and see how it is I might incorporate into my life some of the qualities and virtues that were his—qualities and virtues that caused him to live as he did and have the kind of influence he did.  I’ve been challenged to be more true to my calling, to be more consistent in my lifestyle, and to make sure that I build more bridges than I burn so that the gospel I preach can be heard by all, regardless of race, religion, or political persuasion. 

Towards the end of his life Billy Graham penned these words, "Some day you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don't you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God."  That’s the kind of assurance with which I want to live…and die.  I trust the same is true of you.

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of meI press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:12, 14 – NIV)

Have a good day.


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments