Too Early For Christmas Music?


This week one of our local Christian radio stations switched to playing all Christmas music.  I was a little surprised that they didn’t wait until the day after Thanksgiving—or at least the week of Thanksgiving.  It seemed a bit too early for me.  After all, I’m still raking leaves, getting used to the cooler weather, and trying to get to Thanksgiving.  I’m not quite sure I’m ready to step into the Christmas mode by playing a radio station that’s all Christmas music. 

On the other hand, when I think about it, I’ve spent a good part of the past few weeks preparing for the Christmas season here at the church. We’ve been working on the decorating schedule and ordering poinsettias. I’ve been preparing a Christmas sermon series for the month of December. And, yes I will admit I’ve been listening to a ton of Christmas music in preparation for our Christmas services! Maybe it’s not too early for Christmas music? 

If you think about it, it’s really a shame that we relegate just one day of the year (or a relatively short season of the year) to remembering one of the most important events in history: the incarnation.  God coming to earth as a baby, in the person of Jesus, was no small feat.  The Son of God becoming flesh is no ordinary occurrence.  Aside from the cross, the incarnation is the most incredible expression of love that we will ever know.

The Apostle John wrote, “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” (John 1:14 – NIV) And, “This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.”  (1 John 4:9-10 – NIV) 

Wow! When I read scriptures such as these I say to myself, it’s no wonder we celebrate Christmas!  In fact, we ought to celebrate the incarnation year-round,  That being said, I don’t know that we can ever say it’s too early to play Christmas music!

Have a great day!  


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments