Honorable and Faithful Service!

This past Monday evening, my father’s brother (i.e. my uncle), George passed away at the age of 92.  He was the uncle who was always a bit of a mystery, a bit eccentric, and at times even a little intimidating.  Since his death, I learned that he served in the army just after the close of WWII.  Previously, I had heard that he couldn’t serve during the war because of a disability.  I did not know, that he was sent to Europe after the war. 

As I was going through his papers and cards, I found his discharge paper, better called his, discharge card.  Apparently, back then the army would take the discharge paper, shrink it down, and laminate it so that the veteran had it as a card to carry in his wallet.  A the top of the card it says, “Army of the United States Honorable Discharge.”  On the back I found out all kinds of details—e.g. he trained in Aberdeen, MD, was an army truck driver, was “separated” at Fort Dix, served from September 27, 1945 to January 27, 1947.  And, he received two medals: an “Army of Occupation Medal” and a “WWII Victory Medal.”

What touched me the most were the words I read on the front of the card, words that almost brought me to tears:  “This certificate is awarded as a testimonial of Honest and Faithful Service to this country.”  If you knew my Uncle George, you would know that he was a man who struggled with his lot in life.  He never achieved the things he seemed to have wanted to achieve; he never married and had a family of his own; in many ways he seemed to feel as if he were an outsider.  In fact, the words on this card may have been the only words of commendation he heard throughout his adult life.  Yet, they are probably the most significant of all. “Honest and Faithful Service!”

Although I would not have initially thought of these words in regard to my uncle, as I reflect back on his life, I realize his “Honest and Faithful Service” was seen not only in the way he served his country, but as well in the way he took care of his parents and never-married sister; the way he faithfully did his job at the NYC Parks Department; the decision he made to go into a nursing home, even though it cost him his life savings, so that, as he said, the family would be forced into helping his sister Catherine, doing for her what he knew he himself could not do for her.  It was a strategic and sacrificial move on his part. It was part of his “Honest and Faithful Service.” 

Someday each of us is going to receive our own discharge papers from this life.  We will all be “separated” from our life here on this earth. When that day comes, I wonder will we receive an “Honorable Discharge?” What will our papers say?  I would want mine to say, “Honest and Faithful Service.”  Or, as Jesus said, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”  (Matthew 25:23 – NIV) 

Thanks, Uncle George for your “Honest and Faithful Service!”

Have a good day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments