Stressed Out By the News!

This week I heard a news report with which I could identify well.  The report spoke of a study that showed, during and since this past election cycle the stress level of Americans is higher than ever before.  And in fact, the report said, the more a person listens to or reads the news the higher their stress level becomes.  The solution: to limit the amount of news one listens to, reads, and watches per day (which seems like an odd solution coming from a news agency!). 

As I said, I could identify well with the report.  Between what’s been happening politically within our nation, the events that take place on a local level, and what is happening around our world, I find it is very stressful to follow the news. Over and over again, I find myself asking, how could they? Or, why? Or, what’s going to happen next?  I find myself angry with our political leaders, upset with the way people respond to one another, saddened by what is happening in our culture.  Yes, I get stressed out by the news! I’m sure the same is true for many of you. 

Thankfully, in the midst of all the stress-inducing news of our day there is still a piece of enduring good news!  It’s a piece of news that overrides all of the bad and stressful news that we hear and read every day. It’s a piece of news that gives us hope, brings comfort, and even instills a bit of peace in the midst of all the conflict.  That good news is of course, the good news of the Gospel.  It is the good news of Jesus!  It is the good news that you and I can have our sin forgiven and know God as our heavenly Father! And, it is the good news that, in spite of what we see happening in our world, God is still on the throne—and one day he will set all things straight!

The prophet Isaiah wrote, How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, ‘Your God reigns!’’ (Isaiah 52:7 – NIV) The Apostle Paul wrote, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel (i.e. “good news”), because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. (Romans 1:16 – NIV) 

Maybe it’s time for some of us to turn off the newsfeed or switch television and radio stations.  Maybe it’s time for us to get back into our Bibles and read the good news that God has given to us; to remind ourselves of the good news that has been given to us through Jesus Christ our Savior!  Think about the good news of the Gospel and I guarantee you, your stress level will begin to drop! 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments