Rough Trails

Last weekend, my family and I went out to Sourland Mountain Preserve in Somerset County for the first time.  While my sons, Jonathan and Nathaniel, spent the day bouldering (which is why we ended up going there; they have patches of great big boulders that are well known in the area for “bouldering”), Kim and I, along with our daughter-in-law Danielle, did some hiking. It was a beautiful day to be outside, far different than it ought to have been in February. Who would have thought we would have been hiking, as we were this time of year?  Yet (and I don’t mean to complain), the trails were not my favorite to hike.  In fact, the trails were kind of rough, not because they were particularly strenuous, but for a number of other reasons. 


    Jonathan & Nathaniel "bouldering! 

For one, in many spots the trails were quite muddy (which is to be expected in February). Thus, at times we had to make our way off the trail into the brush.  Where they weren’t muddy, the trails were filled with sharp and jagged rocks, which made them uncomfortable to walk on.  Finally, the trails were not well marked. Time and again we found ourselves looking at our map trying to figure out where we were and which way we needed to go to get to our destination.  Overall, they were, what I would consider to be rough trails to hike.

We all know that, sometimes life puts before us some pretty rough trails.  We can find ourselves having to walk some paths that can be quite uncomfortable—paths filled with all kinds of obstacles and which, at times, can be unclear.  You know what I mean: the terrible diagnosis from the doctor, the loss of a job, the aging of a parent, the baby that cannot be conceived…and the list can go on and on.  Time and again we find ourselves walking down trails we never imagined we would have to walk.  Some of you are walking those rough trails even today. 

I want to encourage you not to give, nor fall into despair.  Rather, continue to trust God as you recall his Word to us--promises to take us through and get us to our final destination; promise like:

“Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain.” (Isaiah 40:4 – NIV)

“I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.” (Isaiah 42:16 – NIV)

Sometimes we may find ourselves walking some rough trails, but let’s trust God to help us each step of the way. He can make the rough places smooth.  And, he will always be with us every step of the way!

He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.  Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”  (Psalm 23:3-4 – NIV)

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments