It's the Little Things!

As some of you may know, this past week I’ve been hobbling around.  Last Saturday, I stepped on a woodchip that pierced its way into my foot.  I was able to quickly get the woodchip out, but the damage was done.  Even now, almost a week later, the foot is still injured and the pain persistent causing me to continue to hobble as I walk. 

As I’ve told a number of people this past week, it’s the little things in life that sometimes have big consequences.  After all, I never would have imagined that the act of taking off my sneaker and walking to the beach from the car would have ended up with a bloody foot and me sitting on the boardwalk with a tissue pressed against my foot.  I never would have thought that a woodchip in my foot would cause me to have to preach the next day sitting down or leave me unable to fully stand or walk almost a week later.  Yet, so often it is the little things in life that get to us, change our course, slow us down, and sometimes have long lasting effects. 

Such is the case with small injuries.  Even more so, such is the case with, what we may consider to be, small sins.  For some people, it was that little lie they told that has begun to spin into a much larger and uncontrollable web.  For someone else it may have been that seemingly innocent glance that turned into a relationship that never should have begun. For someone else, it was that small remark they wish they had never made, but has now come back to haunt them.  And, the list can go on of small things—small sins—we allow into our lives that often have large and lasting consequences. 

The Song of Songs says, Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.”  (Song of Songs 2:15 – NIV) It’s a reference to the little things of life that have the potential to destroy us and thus must be dealt with sternly and swiftly.  The writer of Hebrews says, “…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.”  (Hebrews 12:1 – NIV)    

Let’s be careful as to what “little things” we allow into our lives for some of those “little things” can have big consequences.  Let’s live our lives carefully, thoughtfully, and always according to God’s Word. 

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments