Dreaming in Spanish!

Kim and I just returned from a week in Nicaragua (you can see photos on FB if you like).  We had a wonderful time of five days of ministry including teaching a marriage seminar, followed by a couple of days of time for just the two of us. Each time I’m down there I find myself being able to understand and speak Spanish just a little bit better. My ear, my tongue, and most of all my mind seem to be acclimating bit by bit to the language. 


One of the difficulties I usually have while down there, however, is that after two to three days of hearing and speaking Spanish (as limited as mine is), I begin to try to translate everything I think in my mind, including what is going through my mind as I am dreaming.  This tends to interrupt my sleep for I wake up each time I get to something in my dream that I cannot translate.  It’s kind of weird, but it happens every time I’m down there.  With so much Spanish all around me, I can’t help but have my mind be affected by it all. 

This reminds me of the importance of being careful what it is we put into our minds.  Ultimately, the things we take into our minds will begin to rise to the surface and even take over our thought processes.  That which we allow into ourselves will eventually come out through the things we say, what we do, and maybe even what we dream. 

The Apostle Paul wrote these words to the Philippians, “…whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” (Philippians 4:8 – NIV) To the Colossians he wrote, “Set your minds on things above.” (Colossians 3:2 – NIV) Paul reminds us of the importance of being purposeful regarding what it is we think about and thus allow into our minds. 

Let’s purpose today to think about those things that God would have us think about, that we might live the way God would have us live. Maybe we will even begin to dream about some things we never expect to dream about!

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments