The Fragrance of Easter

Yesterday, as I walked into a supermarket with its floral department near the front door, I encountered a fragrance that I immediately recognized.  It was the lilies—a.k.a. the “Easter lilies.”  With their strong and almost pungent odor, they are hard to miss.  To me, their fragrance is both pleasing and irritating at the same time. 

As a pastor, I’ve preached Easter services for about 25 years with a platform filled with lilies.   Sometimes their fragrance is so strong that I have practically choked in the middle of a sermon. Before heading off for our Easter services, I now normally take some Claritin (or another anti-allergy medication) and make sure I have plenty of water on hand. By the end of the second service, I am more than happy to get away from the lilies. 

On the other hand, I love their fragrance. After all, in my mind they are associated with the greatest holiday in the Christian calendar. They are a reminder of that which we celebrate this time of year: the resurrection of Jesus Christ!  The Easter lilies send forth a fragrance that time and again, speaks to many of us of the fact that death has been overcome by life; that Jesus has conquered the grave; that we who have put our faith in Christ will one day live with him!  Thus, I gladly put up with the lilies for there is the fragrance of Easter!

I pray that our lives would do the same!  That is, I hope and pray that, just as the lilies send out their fragrant reminder that Jesus is alive, your life and mine would speak that very same message to the people around us.  I am praying that, somehow, in someway, the resurrection of Jesus would become a reality to someone this Easter because of what they have caught from the way we live—what they have sensed coming out of our lives. 

But thank God…he uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet perfume. Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God.” (2 Corinthians 2:14, 15 – NLT) 

May the fragrance of our lives be strong as we declare, Jesus is alive! May our lives be the real fragrance of Easter!

Have a wonderful Resurrection Sunday! 


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments