Do You Know Where Your Children Are?

Throughout the years we’ve all heard the question asked just before the 10 o’clock news: “Do you know where your children are?”   Well, these days I usually answer the question with a resounding, yet somewhat saddened, “NO!”  I do not know where my children are!  That’s not because I’m a bad dad (at least I like to think not). But, it’s because my children are somewhat grown and carrying on their lives outside of my home.  Currently, Jonathan is married and has his own household, Nathaniel is away at college, and Joanna is studying in Vienna, Austria. The result is, most nights a 10 o’clock, I do not know where my children are! 

Of course, this has taken some getting used to, both on my part as well as on Kim’s.  When the children were younger, we pretty much always knew where they were, especially 10 o’clock at night.  In fact, we prided ourselves on knowing where they were. However, as time has gone by and our children have become increasingly independent, the amount of time we do not know where they are has as well increased.  It’s just the way life goes as our children grow. 

On the other hand, should God be asked the question, “Do you know where your children are?” he would always answer, “Of course!”  Our heavenly Father always knows where his children are. He sees all things and he knows all things. He sees and knows the joys of our lives, the struggles we are facing, the temptations we are battling, the good that we are doing, and the sins we are committing.  He always knows where his children are! 

The Psalmist wrote, “You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways…Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.” (Psalm 119:1-3, 7-10 – NIV)

Remember today:  Your heavenly Father always knows where you are! May you find comfort and strength in that thought. 

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments