What's On Your Mind?

It’s not unusual for me to have multiple things on my mind at any particular moment.  I tend to be able to think about a few things at once. But, lately it’s been a bit extreme.  My mind has been going in a million different directions as I have been getting adjusted to our new church, preparing for our move, working on the purchase of a home, trying to keep up with what’s going on with my children, keeping in my mind my mom and the care she needs, etc., etc.  To say the least, I have had a lot on my mind lately. 

I’m sure we all have a lot to think about.  To me, it’s amazing how many thoughts can go through our minds in a day; how many things we can think about at nearly the same time.  And, it’s not only the particulars of our lives that we have on our minds but as well the thoughts that pass through our minds as we listen to the news, watch television, listen to a friend tell us what is going on in their life, hear a sermon or sit in a classroom.  Our minds are quite incredible in that they are able to process so much information in a very short period of time. 

At the same time, all of those thoughts and all of that information can sometimes cause stress, anxiety, fear, and a lack of direction.  With so many thoughts going through our minds at once, we sometimes don’t know what we ought to concentrate on, how to prioritize our lives, or even what to do next. We can end up feeling pulled in a million directions; being incredibly busy yet, at the end of the day feeling like we have accomplished very little; feeling quite overwhelmed by all the stuff that is on our minds. 

This past week, however, as I read my Bible I was reminded of a very simple principle to help me deal with all the stuff that’s on my mind.  The writer of Hebrews wrote to the believers, “Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess.”  (Hebrews 3:1 – NIV; emphasis mine)  As I read that verse, I was reminded of the importance of disciplining my mind throughout the day to think about Jesus—to always keep him in mind.  After all, Jesus is the One who is able to lead me and guide me, help me make good decisions, and free me from worry, anxiety, and fear. 

You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” (Isaiah 26:3 – NIV)

Let me ask you, what’s on your mind? 

Have a great day!


Pastor Tim Harris

Comments