In Need of Rain

Last night I received an automated call from our local water company asking us to restrict our water usage. As per the message, this past August was one of the driest on record.  Currently, the local reservoirs are at 50% capacity. And while the temperatures remain in the nineties, there is little to no rain in the forecast.

Throughout much of the summer most of us, including myself, have been ecstatic that we have had so many beautiful days to enjoy our outdoor summer activities.  It’s been a great summer to go to the beach or lake. Few barbeques have been cancelled due to bad weather.  Yet, we are now paying the price for all the “beautiful weather.”  Just a brief look at the lawns that are turning brown and trees that are losing their leaves prematurely make it obvious that we are truly in need of rain. 

This morning I read these words from Psalm 143 and they seemed so appropriate to our current situation: “I spread out my hands to you; I thirst for you like parched land.” (Psalm 143:6 – NIV) In Psalm 63, the Psalmist wrote, O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.” (Psalm 63:1 – NIV)  The Psalmist felt an incredible thirst for the rain of God’s presence within his life. 

It is true our world is in many ways a “parched land.”  This can be a very difficult place in which to live.  It often leaves us with a sense of thirst and the need for relief. But, what will bring that relief? What will quench that thirst? I would submit to us that the Psalmist was right in looking to God and crying out for the presence of God to rain upon his life.

Let me ask you today, for what do you thirst?  To whom or what are you looking for relief in the midst of the difficulties of your life? I want to encourage you to turn to God for only he can truly meet your need.    

“As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.” (Psalm 42:1 – NIV)

Have a great day!  And, let’s pray for some rain. 


Pastor Tim Harris 

Comments