The Two-for-One Greeting Card

This week I am thinking a lot about my father for two reasons. For one, yesterday, May 7, was the one year anniversary of his death. Secondly, May 10, which is Sunday, was his birthday (and also the date of his funeral).  Every few years, because his birthday was on May 10, it would happen to fall on Mother’s Day (as it does this year).  Thus, it was not uncommon for our family to celebrate Mother’s Day and our dad’s birthday together.

One year during my college years, such was the case.  That week I went to a little card shop in the Bronx to buy two cards, one for my mom for Mother’s Day and one for my dad for his birthday. What I stumbled upon in that little shop, filled mostly with cards written in Spanish, amazed me. Of the few cards that were written in English, one said, “Happy Mother’s Day, Mom & Happy Birthday, Dad!”  It was a two-for-one greeting card! What a bargain! What an incredible find! (Believe me, it was not produced by Hallmark or American Greeting!)  It was as if the card had been printed especially for my parents and me! Of course, I bought the card and that weekend, to everyone’s amazement, gave the two-for-one greeting card to my parents.  

I’m not sure who came up with the idea to produce such a card. Maybe someone in the card company faced the same situation in their family—i.e. their father’s birthday falling on Mother’s day. Or, maybe someone just thought it would be fun or even funny to produce such a card and then wait and see how many would be sold. But, it almost felt as if someone had been peaking into my life and decided to come up with something specifically for me. 

Now, I don’t want to give the impression that I think God was involved in the producing and then my finding of that card. But, what I do know is that, the feeling that I felt regarding that card is true of God. He is always peaking into my life. And, he often works in a very personal way in my life—taking care of me in ways that are often quite amazing. 

Jesus said, “So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.” (Matthew 6:31-32 - NIV) And, “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet, not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Luke 12:6-7 - NIV)

Jesus taught us that God is very much involved in our lives in a very personal way. He sees what is taking place in our daily lives. He knows what we need. He sees, he knows, and he supplies.

Today, let’s trust God with our lives, believing that he will take care of us. Who knows, maybe he does supply two-for-one greeting cards? 

“And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19 – NIV)

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris
www.pifny.org

Comments