Count Your Blessings!

A few weeks ago, I was having a particularly hard day.  Even though the sky was a bright blue, it might as well have been clouded over as I found myself a bit overwhelmed by situations in my life and worrying about the future.  I know you know what I mean when I say, it was just one of those days!

That afternoon I stopped into the local dry cleaner’s to drop off my dirty dress shirts and pick up the clean ones.  As usual, I greeted the woman who owns and runs the store (in Korean!).  She asked about my family and what my children were doing.  We chatted for about a minute.  Then suddenly she came out with a statement that practically knocked me over and turned my day around. She said, “God always takes care of your family.”  I smiled and nodded almost not knowing what to say. But, when I left the store her words rang through my head. I said to God, “Yes Lord, you have always been faithful.  You have always taken care of my family.”  I looked up and the sky seemed so much bluer and everything a bit brighter. A weight seemed to have been lifted.  (I know that sounds corny but it is true!)

In Psalm 77, the psalmist describes a hard time in his life, a time when he had begun to question God and be overwhelmed by the situations of his life.  But he then writes these words:   Then I thought, ‘To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High.’ I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds.” (Psalm 77:10-12 – NIV)

The old hymn put it this way:  “Count your blessings, name them one by one; Count your blessings see what God hath done; Count your blessings name them one by one; And, it will surprise you what the Lord hath done!” (Johnson Oatman Jr.) 

Take some time today to remember what God has done in your life.  Let’s remember his faithfulness, goodness, and kindness.  As you do, I know the sky will turn a bit brighter and your load feel a little lighter! 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

www.pifny.org

Comments