Home From College

It’s been a few weeks now since my two younger children, Nathaniel and Joanna, have been home from college. (Jonathan is yet away in Nicaragua.)  So, once again, Kim and I are adjusting to having a full house, even as they are making their adjustment to living back home with their parents. We have had to adjust to the added shopping, cooking, and cleaning, the juggling of cars, the conflicting and intertwining schedules.  There is more waiting for the shower, the wondering where all the food went, and at times the added noise. For their part, they are adjusting to having their parents looking over their shoulders and asking them where they are going and what time they will be home. (I know it’s not always easy for them—but that’s what parents do!)

If you know me at all, you know I am not complaining.  I love having my kids home and I am more than willing to make whatever adjustments are necessary.  It’s just that every time they go back to college, Kim and I have to adjust to living without them in the house. Each time they come home from college, we have to readjust to them being with us. I guess it’s just a normal part of life: parents adjusting to their growing children and those same children adjusting to a new kind of relationship with their parents.

If you think about it, that’s just how life is: a constant series of changes calling for us to constantly make adjustments. We are always facing changing situations that require us to adjust our lives, our routines, our reactions, our expectations.  Our children grow-up; our parents age. Our company moves; our position is dissolved.  Friends move on; a loved one dies. We live in an ever-changing world, thus the situations and circumstances of life that call for us to make adjustments, is endless. 

Yet, I am reminded that in the midst of all the changes of life, the Bible speaks of God as One “….who does not change like shifting shadows.” (James 1:17 – NIV)  God says of himself, “I the Lord do not change.” (Malachi 3:6—NIV) Thus, in the midst of all the changes that life brings and all the adjustments we are forced to make, there is One upon whom we can always rely, One who will always be there, One who will always be the same. God is our constant in the midst of our ever-changing world. 

I am learning that in the midst of all the changes that continue to take place in my life, the best thing I can do is lean upon our never-changing God.  He is able to help me through the changes and give me grace to make the necessary adjustments.  I know the same will be true for you. 

“Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8 – NIV)

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris

Comments