Sitting in Silence

Over the past few weeks, I’ve spent a lot of time sitting with my dad, first in the hospital and now in the nursing/rehabilitation center.  In fact, I’ve probably never spent so much time with him—at least not in such extended periods of time.  And, what I’ve learned over the past few weeks is, we don’t always have to talk.  Sometimes it’s enough to just sit in silence. 

For one, due to his illness, my dad has limited speech capacities. Thus, from his end of it, it is hard and exhausting for him to carry on an extended conversation.  But, secondly, in light of all that is taking place, so many of the things we would normally talk about seem so trivial. Although he still likes to know what is going on with the rest of the family and in the world around, it can seem so trite to talk about where we are going for dinner, the latest sale in the supermarket, and how the Yankees are doing.  Not that we don’t talk about any of that, but after a while it begins to sound like just a lot of time-filling chatter.  So, sometimes we put on the television and sit and watch it together.  Other times, we might just sit for a while in silence. 

As a person who seems to always have something to say, sitting in silence can be a bit difficult for me. I tend to want to fill every inch of empty space with words. But, I’m learning that there is something more important than words; that is, presence.. At times our words can be trivial, trite, meaningless. At other times, we end up speaking the wrong words. Eventually we run out of words.  But, when words run out, presence remains. There are times when we don’t need any more words; all we need is the other person’s presence.

I’m reminded of God’s promise to his people: “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”  (Deuteronomy 31:8 – NIV) Or, Jesus put it this way: “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20 – NIV)  The promise is not for more words (as important as God’s Word is to us). But his promise is for his continued presence; a presence that is with us even when we don’t hear him speaking. 

So today, I’m first of all thankful for God’s continued presence in my life and in the life of my family. Secondly, I’m learning the importance of a person’s presence. Although my dad can’t speak to me a lot of words, at this point, I’m just glad to be with him and experience the nearness of his presence. I’m learning that sometimes it is ok to sit in silence. 

Have a great day!

Pastor Tim Harris                                         

www.pifny.org

Comments